Thursday, February 26, 2009

My Journey...Part 4 Continued-Continued! & Jeremy's Surprise!


So, you maybe wondering, why I have posted a picture of a random hotel. I'll explain in a sec.!
Okay, so I'm on the portion of Proverbs 31:11 which says, "lacks nothing of value/shall have no need of spoil." I've talked about the virtuous woman helping out by being a wise spender but this next explanation is where I've really been stretched. Here goes: Matthew Henry writes, and this is so awesome, "He (the virtuous woman's husband) thinks himself so happy IN HER that he envies not those who have most of the wealth of this world; he needs it not, HE HAS ENOUGH, having such a wife. Happy the couple that have such a satisfaction in each other!" Wow! I have to ask myself,
*Is Jeremy that satisfied with me? Do I make him so happy that the wealth of this world just becomes a bonus? If it were all taken away, would he still be happy?
Admittedly, I must answer, "probably not" to these 3 questions. Jeremy knows I love him, I'm sure of that, but I can't say that he is lavished by my love. And that's because I'm not doing such a swell job at "lavishing!" The busyness of life in general, especially with the boys, has almost forced Jeremy to sometimes take a backseat. That is SO sad! Nothing is more important, next to our relationship with God, than our relationship with each other. And it's not that we have a bad marriage; we have a great one! I just want it to be the BEST!=) I want Jeremy and I experience all that God intended marriage to be!
On this same topic, consider the following verse of Proverbs, which says "she brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life." I'll try to sum this up quickly. Henry writes, "She makes it her constant business to do him good. She shows her love to him, not by a foolish fondness (affection), but by prudent (wise, discreet) endearments (affection)."
*Do I make it my constant goal to show Jeremy affection? Do I plan special things for him? Do I "study" him and cleverly create ways to show him love? Not nearly as much as I should!
Oh, and this is to be done "all the days of her life," not necessarily his. This should be seen in the legacy of our children!
So...the motel thing was an attempt at creatively showing love to Jeremy. Here's how it went:
Jeremy is driving about 45 minutes one way to work each day. It is exhausting him and getting a little old by now. Plus, the boys haven't been sleeping too well at night lately (I'm not sure why), so this has taken its toll. Yesterday, I packed up an overnight bag for both of us, a cooler full of food, some bowls and plates, and the George Foreman...enough for a small meal. I met Jeremy in Durham to go and look at more houses. Afterwards, he headed back in to work, and I secretly put his overnight bag, pillow, and a note with directions, in the front seat of his car. I then headed to Crestwood Suites (that's the picture that's posted) and began cooking supper. After following the directions I left in his car, he arrived at the motel at around 6. I had dinner on the table, and we were able to spend the rest of the night relaxing. It was less than 10 minutes from the church, so he was able to sleep in this morning. And, because I did my homework, we were able to get an upgraded room for a cheap price. It was just what both of us needed! We're already planning another one for March!
I'm really trying to practice what I'm learning, and it has been so much fun! Hard work, yes, but definitely fun!

2 comments:

  1. What a sweet and romantic idea! I'm sure he appreciated your thoughtfulness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so sweet. Tiffany, you are wise beyond your years. Or maybe I should say letting the Lord truly lead you. Thanks for the daily reminders that you share.

    ReplyDelete