Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Understanding the Miracle a Little More

For legal reasons, Jeremy and I had to get a copy of Stephen's medical records. Neither Jeremy nor I had ever looked at them before. I'm really not sure if we ever really wanted to. Regardless, when the large envelope arrived in the mail yesterday, I could not resist. It was time for me to actually understand what Stephen had endured. I was overwhelmed. My mind attempted to understand all the large words and Dr. lingo. Late last night, I jumped on the internet and began looking up various terms on wikipedia. I did search after search and looked at picture after picture. Several times I simply put my head in my hands to give my spinning brain a break. After awhile, though, I began to understand.
Jeremy and I have always known that Stephen tore all the ligaments connecting his skull and his first 2 vertebrae. What I never realized was how many vital systems are located in this area. The control system for every body movement can be found around the area Stephen damaged. He could have easily suffered paralysis. I read how he had swelling that partially entered the space that connects his spinal cord to his brain. This too could have become serious, damaging parts of Stephen's brain. I can still hardly understand how much worse things could have been.
The last article I read last night was about an 18 year old girl who had the same injury (occipital cervical dislocation) and surgery as our 16 month old had. She was in recovery for more than 8 months where Stephen's only lasted about 3 or 4. One of the last phrases in the medical report, however, was next to unbelieveable. I quote: "Occipital cervical dissociation or dislocation is rare in the surviving trauma patient. These injuries are usually associated with high cervical cord injury followed by death. The injury is highly unstable." Can I say more?
Both Jeremy and I understand that Stephen will forever have limitations. We know there will probably be times of frustration. As parents, we anticipate moments of explanation as Stephen grows. Most importantly, though, we can hardly wait to share with our son the miracle God did in his life. Our Father left Stephen here for a purpose. I have chills as I write this. Things could have been so different. Our God is SO amazing! Today, once again, I celebrate this miracle!

3 comments:

  1. Tiffany, I cried as I read this. GOD is SO GOOD All the TIME. ALL the TIME GOD is SO GOOD! I too, am thankful he left Stephen here and I pray that Stephen will be used to do great and mighty things for God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephen, as well as both of you, are a reminder of God's amazing answer to many people's prayers.

    We love you all and are so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! As I read this, I too, am in chills. God is our Great Physician and He has the power to heal any injury or illness we face. We all have a purpose for being here, Stephen included, whether God has revealed His purpose to us yet or not. I can hardly wait to see what God will do through your son.

    It is such a blessing to see once again the miracles God has given your family!

    ReplyDelete