Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Stephen's Synopsis of Scripture

It's rainy here, and I'm about to rush out the door to Stephen's pre-op. His eye surgery is scheduled for Friday. We are praying his recent cold does not postpone things. We are ready to have this procedure over with and are praying it is a success. I will know (and post) more details later this week. With the turn of 2009, Jeremy and I again refocused our goals for our family. One of those goals, family devotions, was in need of way more attention. For the past week, we have sat down with Stephen each morning before Jeremy heads off to work and spent some time as a family in God's Word. We are presently using a Word of Life devotional book that allows Stephen to color each day while also learning a simple principle from the Bible. It seems very effective and simple enough for him to understand. Earlier today, Stephen picked up Jeremy's study Bible and asked me what it was. I told him that it was Daddy's Bible, and that it had God's words in it. He then sat down in the recliner and opened up the big Bible. Stephen began to read. His words were "Be nice!" and he shut the Bible. I laughed to myself but then realized how simple yet profound those 2 little words are. Yes, Scripture is full of so much more than "Be nice." As Christians, however, I believe we often fail at even that simple of commands. Am I always nice? What about when Caleb has gotten us up at night, and I'm tired? Or better yet, when Stephen accidentally wakes Caleb up from a nap? Definetly Not! So my challenge for today, from God's Word and a witty 2 year old, is to "Be Nice!" It's the least I can do!

2 comments:

  1. Out of the mouth of babes. A little child will lead them. Isn't that so true. Too bad we aren't more like children in the sense of trusting and living like God wants us to. Tell Stephen to preach it. I will be praying for you guys Friday. I know God will take care of all. Love ya and miss ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this simple but profound thought. We will be praying for Stephen.

    ReplyDelete