Monday, January 12, 2009

A Chapter Closed...

Today, 1 year and 5 months since the wreck, we closed a chapter in Stephen's life. I am still emotionally in shock. God is so good! This afternoon we took Stephen back to the eye doctor for post-op. Jeremy and I were both a little apprehensive. Yesterday his right eye began turning very red. You couldn't see any of the normal white around his pupil, and we were concerned. 4:00 could not have come sooner. When we got to Duke Eye Center, we were relieved to see the lack of people waiting. I had packed some of Stephen's trains in my bag, so he could occupy himself on the "trainless" train table they have in the waiting room. We waited about 2 hours the last time we were there and have heard rumors of 4-5 hour waits. The train decoy was a success, and we were amazingly taken back within about 20 minutes. Dr. Freedman's assistant checked Stephen's vision. This is always an amazing thing to watch as the little pictures on the screen get smaller and smaller until they are barely visible. Sometimes Stephen can still say what the images are when Jeremy and I can't see them! His vision tested perfect again. We were also reassured that the redness was from some broken blood vessels, and this was completely normal. That was a huge relief. We then saw Dr. Freedman. She bent down and smoothly coaxed Stephen to look this way and that without turning his head. She then looked at me and Jeremy and said, "Marvelous! They look perfect!" Dr. Freedman then turned Stephen toward us and said, "You 2 have got to see this!". She had him look left, then right. Both eyes did exactly what they were supposed to do! Neither eye pulled up...they worked together! This was the first time we had seen this since after the wreck in August 2007! His eyes are back like they were before! The surgery, by God's grace, was a success! We have to go back in 2 months for a check-up, but Dr. Freedman presently sees no need for further treatment. When we got back in the car, we explained this to Stephen. We told him that God had used Dr. Freedman to fix his eyes. As a family, we then prayed and told God thank you. Tonight when I was putting Stephen to bed, I picked him up. I looked him square in those straight, little blue eyes and told him how proud his Mommy was of him! No more patches, no more surgeries, Lord willing! We have closed this chapter! I laid him back in the bed and kissed his forehead. "Thank You, Lord," I quietly said. He has worked another miracle in our lives!

7 comments:

  1. With tears in my eyes I will simply say "God is good all the time. All the time God is good".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise the Lord. He is wonderful. Even in the bad times He is wonderful. Oh the things Stephen will see. Let him always use those perfect eyes for the Lord. We are so happy everything turned out great. Tiff, you should have come the the Yaak Sunday night. Jean told me you debated about it. We wish you would have come. You are always always welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy everything turned out to be perfect! We miss you at MOPS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tiffany, so thankful for God's blessings and healing touch on Stephen. I know that must have been such a "glorious moment." Kiss Stephen for us and tell him "Donald Duck" misses him and wants to see him! Love ya. Rachael is getting her text back so she will be burning up your phone since we will not let her have a computer yet. Come see us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praise the Lord! I am so thankful for the wisdom that the Lord has given to doctors to do the amazing things they do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tiffany,
    We don't really know each other that well, but I went to Union Grove with you. I was also one of the firefighters on the scene that day in August. I am so glad that the Lord has used the doctors to heal Stephen. It is such a blessing to me to see how God has worked in the lives of your family. Normally we help people on a scene and never ever know what happens to them. I am happy to hear how great Stephen is doing! Praise the Lord!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tiff. to God be the glory, great and wonderful things he has done. Dad

    ReplyDelete