Thursday, January 8, 2009

Stephen's Surgery


Tomorrow, January 9, Stephen will be having another procedure done on his eyes. In December 2007, he had a botox injection done at WFUBMC. The injection was effective but did not completely fix the problem. We have continued seeing his eye Dr. since then and pursuing treatment. When we moved to Durham, Stephen's Dr. referred us to someone at the Duke Eye Center. Jeremy and I immediately fell in love with this new Dr. and were relieved when she recommended surgery. That may sound crazy, but we know this surgery is the best thing for Stephen's eyes. We have been just waiting for someone to recommend it. Both Jeremy and I both say that one reason God moved us to Durham was to meet this new Dr. His plans are perfect. We have to be at the Eye Center tomorrow morning at 7:45am. They will go in both Stephen's eyes and clip the nerves that are causing them not to function together. Looking at Stephen, you would never know anything was wrong with his eyes. As his parents, we only notice it when he's tired or looks a certain way. They have improved drastically since the wreck in '07. Prayerfully, tomorrow's surgery will allow both eyes to always remain straight and to work together. Right now Stephen is only able to use one eye at a time. He has no depth perception. Thankfully, though, his vision has not been effected. The procedure should take a little over an hour. He will be put completely to sleep. As ready I am to do this, seeing him in that little hospital gown in that environment brings back a lot of memories and emotions. Please pray that Stephen is not scared. Pray that the medicine works quickly and then wears off quickly. Pray also for the Doctors and that the procedure will be effective. Pray for us as his parents. I will give another update as to how he's doing as soon as I am able. God is in control...this was part of His plan from the beginning. We're so grateful just to have our son!

4 comments:

  1. Stephen,

    I miss you very much especially in Kindermusik class. Mommy was going through our Christmas cards today and I saw your family's picture and I said "Stephen". I haven't forgotten you.

    I will be praying for you tomorrow (so will Mommy & Daddy).

    Love,
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you today Stephen. And for your mommy and daddy too:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephen, I will be praying for you and your parents today.

    Tiffany, I love the blog! It's great! Your mother is so special to me and she shared this with me. Good luck with everything you are doing. My prays are with you.

    Sonya Tapp Wrenn

    ReplyDelete