Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Joseph Remembered

Things are still a little "real estate crazy" here! We're in the process of choosing a renter and, all of a sudden, the house is being shown like every day! Continue to pray that we'll have wisdom.
As I posted earlier, I've been reading through the book of Genesis. It has been so interesting. I've gotten to the point that I long to read it, just like you would a good fiction novel. God's Word really is amazing! Last week, I followed several Biblical couples from Abraham & Sarah, to Isaac & Rebekah, to Jacob & Rachel (and Leah!), and finally to the story of Joseph. I've been amazed at how we, as women, have always tried to take things into our own hands; how we've rushed God's plans. Eventually, yes, His will is accomplished, but not without unneeded heartache. For example, Sarah: gave Abraham her servant Hagar since she "couldn't" have a baby (Genesis 16). Rebekah: deceived Isaac so Jacob could get the blessing instead of Esau (Genesis 27). Rachel: gave Jacob her servant Bilhah since she "couldn't" have a baby (Genesis 30). And, trust me, the cycle continues. I see it daily as I choose my plans over God's; as I rush things when He says wait.
The story of Joseph has also come alive to me. I've never really read it in this light. The most amazing verses so far have been Genesis 40:14,15 where Joseph, after interpreting the cup-bearer's dream, says, "And please remember me and do me a favor when things go well for you. Mention me to Pharaoh, so he might let me out of this place. For I was kidnapped from my homeland, the land of the Hebrews, and now I'm here in prison, but I did nothing to deserve it." I love how Joseph hasn't forgotten where he came from. He doesn't dwell on the past, but he does remember it. It's a part of who he is. More importantly, it's a part of God's incredible plan. I guess I've always thought that Joseph sat in that prison in a "good mood." That he sung praise choruses all day and blessed God! Besides, like all Biblical characters, he was a "super Christian!"...Really?=) That's not the case at all, though. I'm sure Joseph had a great spirit in spite of his circumstances, but from this verse, I also understand that he had down days. Days when he remembered the life he could have had as opposed to the life he had. Maybe even days where he felt anger at his brothers. These thoughts, however, were probably abnormal for Joseph. He knew how to turn his past hurts into possibilities, because he knew the God he served. And boy did God ever have a plan! Joseph knew that God "means everything for our good." If I could just understand that and have a healthy view of the past (yet not forgetting), then maybe I could change the cycle of taking things into my own hands as women throughout the generations have been doing!


That smile!!!!


I got a little help folding clothes!=)

3 comments:

  1. Loved the devotional about Joseph. You have such insight!

    Two cute little boys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You teach lessons so well and I gain much wisdom from you. Love the pics of the boys. See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hearing your insight on what you have read. And that comment saying you look forward to reading the Bible like a good novel. We should all feel that way. Sometimes though I really really have a hard time getting through the begots.

    Love and miss all of you. The boys are growing way too fast.

    ReplyDelete