Friday, March 18, 2011

Baby Lessons



Having children teaches me so much! There's the range of sacrifice, to unconditional love, to patience, and on and on and on. Today I learned another one of those lessons from our precious, 6 month old Jonathan.

I was giving him his afternoon bottle like normal but for some reason the formula wouldn't come out. Being a hungry, little guy this did not set very well. With every shake and twist of the bottle, Jonathan got madder and madder. Finally, I decided to switch bottles and see if that would help. During that process, though, he LOST it! Seriously, he was crying and crying, and I was getting flustered. My exact words to Jeremy during this mild chaos were, "Doesn't he trust me by now? I know what he needs."

Oh my word...as soon as those words left my lips, I felt the Holy Spirit say, "How many times do I say that about you?" How many times does my life show a lack of trust? Don't I trust God "knows what I need?" Don't I "trust him by now?" Unbelievable...a lesson I still desperately need to learn.

The new bottle worked for Jonathan, and he was happy as could be! Me, on the other hand, I've still got a ways to go.

(And yes, I let Jonathan suck on the faucet during sink baths...til he gags himself, that is!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment