Sunday, January 9, 2011

Why We Attend Saturday Nights!








There are lots of reasons why our family chooses to attend the Summit's Saturday night service, including the following:

-We love it!
-It's Jeremy's only chance since he's teaching all day on Sundays.
-There's a smaller crowd feel (well, at least it used to feel that way!).
-I don't worry that the boys have been there for a long time on Sunday mornings. It's 2 totally different days, experiences, teachers, and groups of kids for them.
-We usually go out as a family for dinner afterwards to "end" our weekend.
-Chick-fil-a is open!!!!
-And lots more...

One of the most important reasons for me, though, is the reinforcement of the Gospel that Stephen and Caleb get. Here's how we've taken advantage of going to church on two consecutive days with the boys hearing the same lesson both times:

...Saturday night they hear a story/do a craft about a story from God's Word. I already know what they're gonna learn, because I get the awesome Summit Kids' e-mail my amazing husband sends out!=) We can even intro it before they get there, so their minds are on that topic already!
...We talk about what they learned on the way to dinner after the service (usually Chick-fil-a!).
...That night I think of a craft that goes along with the story for us to talk about at breakfast on Sunday morning. I focus on making sure it somehow points to Jesus and the Gospel.
...The next morning (mind you, we don't have to rush out at 9:00 since we attended the night before) during breakfast we talk about what they learned and reinforce it with the zany (and very simple) activity I planned!
...Since I serve during the 11:00 service, we get to church around 10:30 (okay, not always---remember, I'm doing this on Sundays by myself with 3 kids since Jeremy has to be there so early!), and the boys get to hear the Bible story again with a new teacher and set of kids.
...Wonderful for us!!!---That way I feel like I'm doing the teaching, and the church is backing me up double each weekend! It's been great, and I'm praying it's making a difference in Stephen and Caleb's lives!

Above are some pictures of what we did this morning during breakfast. This weekend's story was about the One Lost Sheep, so we made marshmallow sheep on peanut butter plates while we ate our pancakes. We even sang the old song "The Lord is my Shepherd, I'll walk with Him always..." and giggled ourselves silly til we got in the van!

I truly love this schedule we've got. It's not always pretty (ie-I am stressed about half the time when I get there on Sundays!!) but nonetheless, the boys are learning, and I'm blessed to be a part of it!!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful schedule and plan you have worked out. And I have always felt that the devil works extra hard on Sunday mornings to make it extra difficult for people with kids to get out the door on time. He's crafty that way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an incredible mom. Wow!

    ReplyDelete