Wednesday, March 25, 2009

My Journey...Part 8


Veggie Tales...Veggie Tales...Gotta love 'em!
Once again, our precious boys have been sick, and this time, Jeremy and I decided to participate. It was nothing serious; just the usual cold/sinus problems. Anyways, I'm back!=) Hope you haven't totally forgotten what part of Proverbs 31 we were on. In truth, I'm not sure what verse I'm on. Matthew Henry's commentary has jumped around so much that I'm just following along. If you can't find rhyme or reason to my pattern; neither can I! Better late than never...here we go!:
Proverbs 31:26 says "She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue." Some of you have already stopped reading this entry, because you know it talks about her words. Ha! We women love to talk!=) Here's what Henry has to say (so I'm not doing all the talking!): "She is discreet and obliging in all her discourse, not talkative, censorious (fault-finding), nor peevish (showing annoyance). She opens her mouth With Wisdom When she does speak." I'm trying to daily say to myself "with wisdom when" to check my words and the amount of them. The virtuous woman is choosey with her every word. She doesn't "put her foot in her mouth," because she thinks first.
Being wise, the Proverbs 31 woman gives great advice. Matthew Henry writes that she "gives prudent advice to others; not as assuming the authority of a dictator, but with the affection of a friend and an obliging air (accomodating)." She's not a know it all but offers her opinion when asked and when appropriate.
"Love and kindness" fill her heart, and this is evident through her words. Again Henry writes "Her wisdom and kindness together put a commanding power into all she says; they command respect, they command compliance." People want to listen to her. They feel her compassion and wisdom when she speaks. If I talk too much, no one will listen. They will come to expect it. The virtuous woman saves her words, and therefore people listen!
Lastly, Matthew Henry says that the Proverbs 31 woman's words reveal "how full her heart is of another world even when her hands are most busy about this world." I want to do my best here on this Earth but at the same time not lose my true focus. Just tonight Jeremy and I were talking about different investments. I truly want our greatest investment to be something we will not receive until the future; until we hear our Father say, "Well done, thy good and faithful servant." May my words confirm what's in my heart.

3 comments:

  1. My life verse Proverbs 19:14 14 Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O LORD, my strength and my redeemer. I need to say (practice)this verse it more.

    Thanks for the insight.

    Cute picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane..you have the same exact life verse as I do...Its underlined and highlighted in my bible. This one I chose approx. 6 months after I was saved. I too have to remind myself daily of this verse!

    Thank you Tiffany for making us think and meditate on these things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the family pic! It was good to see you guys on Friday night. I am still enjoying this "Bible Study" with you.

    ReplyDelete