Friday, July 1, 2011

Give Them Grace


I just finished reading Elyse Fitzpatrick's book Give Them Grace, and it was awesome. Jeremy keeps asking me if I like it more than Gospel-Powered Parenting, and I just can't decide. They're both so good, so Gospel-centered, and so challenging. Give Them Grace made me very aware of how often we parent our boys under the law and not grace. It also relieved some of the pressure I put on myself to be a "good Mom" by reminding me that God is really the one in control of the boys' futures. All of that said, here are some of my favorite quotes (and I'm limiting it...there were S0 many!):

"What percentage of your time is spent in declaring the rules and what percentage in reciting the Story?"

"Everything that isn't Gospel is law."

"If not rooted in gratitude for God's love for us in Christ, morality is deadlier to the soul than immorality."

"You cannot raise good kids, because you are not a good parent."

"When we're quietly resting in grace, we'll have grace to give our children, too. When we're freed from the ultimate responsibility of being their savior, we'll find our parenting burden becoming easy and light."

"We have far too high a view of our ability to shape our children and far too low a view of God's love and trustworthiness."

"Parenting with grace isn't another set of rules for you to follow. It's a story that you're to rejoice in. Share the story with your children. Show them the Savior. Show them Jesus. Dazzle them with his love."

"Our children, both the 'bad' ones and the 'good' ones, need to hear his message of entreaty. 'My arms are open to you; all that is mine is yours. Come and delight in my generous mercy'."

"We hinder our children from coming to him when we inadvertently teach them that the good news is meant for good people."

That's where I'll stop, because I feel like I'm not doing the book justice by pulling out quotes here and there. The ones above came from the first 4 chapters, and there are 10 chapters in the book! It was so good that I even highlighted in the foreword and introduction.

GET IT! It will challenge and relieve you at the same time!

No comments:

Post a Comment