Saturday, June 4, 2011

A Little Too Late...Or Not?



Okay,here's a really honest post, and one I'm attempting not to dramatize. Here goes:

Last week I got a baby magazine in the mail, and it contained the article pictured above. I read it, and as you can see, soon after tore it out, crumpled it up, and threw it away. Here what the article said:

"In a recent policy statement, the American Academy of Pediatrics advises parents to keep toddlers' car seats rear-facing until age 2 or until they reach the car seat's rear-facing heart or weight limit. Previously, the AAP cited 1 year and 20 pounds as the minimum for flipping the seat, at which time many parents would switch from an infant seat to a convertible car seat.

A 2007 study in the journal Injury Prevention found that children under age 2 are 75 percent less likely to die or to be severely injured in a crash if they are facing the rear. 'A rear-facing child safety seat does a better job of supporting the head, neck, and spine of infants and toddlers in a crash because it distributes the force of the collision over the entire body,' says Dennis Durbin MD, a pediatric emergency physician, co-scientific director of the Center for Injury Research and Prevention at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia and lead author of the AAP's policy statement."

Ughhh...now do you understand why I threw this article away? In the midst of my faith that God had a purpose in our wreck and even in Stephen's injuries, there's still that lingering thought of "what if" that sneaks back into my mind when I read things like this.

Could it have been prevented? I don't know. That starts the whole debate of God's sovereignty, and it's tough to go there. I do know, though, that whatever questions and what if's I may have, I'm grateful just to have our little man with us. He is such a blessing!

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes, Tiff, as Stephen's Mother, it just hits you and it's hard. It's ok. God will continue to take care of you and your family. You have handled it so well and I am so very proud of you! Love, Mama

    ReplyDelete