Friday, August 5, 2011

Twice is a Charm!




How can a child less than 3 years old have already gotten stitches twice? That, my friends, is Caleb. Last Saturday night, our fun Chick-fil-a meal with friends was interrupted by the screams and blood-covered face of our middle son. Being our second time doing the "stitches thing," we immediately knew we were headed to the ER. Jeremy took Caleb took the bathroom (and yes, I busted in the men's after them!), stopped the bleeding, and we left. Thankfully our friends, David and Hannah, were with us. They watched Stephen and Jonathan as we checked Caleb in at Wake Med Children's Emergency Room (our first trip to this hospital).

Soon after, Jeremy took them home and Caleb and I waited to be called back. Our awesome neighbor Celeste stayed with Stephen and Jonathan while Jeremy drove back to the hospital.

As terrible as Caleb looked, he was a champ. Seriously, he bounced all over that waiting room like nothing was wrong. Of course, when they put him in the "hug thing," "taco wrap," "straight jacket,"--whatever you choose to call it, he became hysterical. I could only see his little face as he screamed, "Mommy, get me down. It hurts." And at that moment, I think it was hurting me more than him.

After 4 stitches and Tylenol with codeine, life was good! He ate a popsicle, watched TV, and declared to me and the nurses that he didn't want to leave. We did have a good experience there, I must admit.

One of the "God things" about all this was that the girl working Saturday night to "calm and distract the kids" was an Institute girl from last summer who served with Jeremy and Summit Kids. She knew who we were as soon as she saw our name on the check-in list. Lauren took great care of us, brought Caleb blocks, toys, and books, and even gave him a special teddy bear with a bandaid over his eye when we left (appropriately named Boo-Boo). I was so thankful to have Lauren there with me!

So, there you have it...2 sets of stitches later, and the boys are still going strong. The phrase I keep asking myself since then and every day..."Is this normal???????".

No comments:

Post a Comment